Sunday, February 18, 2007

Persia


On my walk to lunch on Saturday to meet my friend from Tehran, Iran, his wife and son and a couple of his friends from Iran, a moment of clarity hit me. Since I arrived to Spain four months ago I have had few moments to reflect on life, where I've been, what I'm doing, where I'm going or the relations forming with unique people along the way. All of a sudden I realized during the middle of the US - Iranian political battles as of late, I was on my way to sit as the sole American with six Persians for a four hour lunch of typical Persian food and Persian customs. Maziar has the nicest wife from Tehran and the cutest two year old son...made me think of my nephews in Little Rock, Reid and Cade. Hearing about the Iranian culture from these very hospitable Persians increased my desire to travel to Iran if I could ever get legal permission to be there. They say that the Spanish culture resembles that of Iran in many ways...a few centuries ago (don't know exactly when), Iran had a huge influence in Spain and actually took some Spanish words back to Iran...or was it the other way around?? Merci, French for 'thank you' is also used regularly in Iran because the well-to-do Iranian parents of our generation studied University in France and took back the language. Since the most educated structure the thinking and habits of a nation, many French words became everyday life. So now I speak a little Farsi!
Life is passing so quickly here I hardly have time to think. Its Friday, then its Monday, then before I sit down again its already Friday. Its sad to me that time is passing so quickly and soon I'll be starting all over yet again in another country more than likely, getting used to a new culture, new way of living and having to find a new group of people. After four months in Madrid things are just beginning to take shape...I have my people and my routines, I know where I like and how to get there and who I want to be with when I'm there. December is not far off and all of us at IE will be scattered back across 57 countries soon. The challenge is to know all 240 of us while still meeting assignments, sleeping, making it to class, researching for job opportunities, excercising, learning Spanish, running clubs and communicating with the outside world...to name a few.

No comments: